Monday, September 26, 2005

race report

well a sunny start to the race, not a cloud in the sky, great to see soo many australians at the starting line.

hung in conformtably with a pace group (not sure what pace it was), but was around the 2,13 14 pace and we had mag, nick harrission, phil sly, kym gillard in the group and it was smooth sailing for me until about 18km, then it felt like a pick up in pace and I dropped off with another with the others in sight about 20 to 30 metres ahead until about 25km.

Really struggled or battled to maintain form until about 32km trying to keep a good pace going and probably did all my leg damage with this effort. Passed Rod, then Mag at about 32km and I hit the wall soon after, more or less just shuffling very sore in the glutes and not much to give. This was probably due to missing all the gatorade stations and my gu gel. I cant believe they didnt serve gatorade until 29km, and only cold tea until this point!!

So was battling on, and got hit by the lead womens car as it came through, and then pulled over and arse over tit, when the Kenyan pushed me over. This actually spurred me on for about 2kms. Battled on but very disappointed. A lot to learn, time to reflect and some time off the track for a while.

Nick Cope ran very well in his debut and some great results from Andrew Letherby, Shane Nankervis and Phil Sly, considering the warm conditions.

5km 15,46 10km 15,56 15km 15,59
20km 16,03 25km 16,45 30km 17,01
35km 19,30 40km 22,25 and last 9,19 = 2,28,47.

sorry about the german keyboard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guz,

Having not reached expectations myself in a major race recently, I have some idea of how you're feeling now. Can't do much but offer my commiserations, and good luck for the next marathon!

Thanks for the insight we've had through your blog in recent months (hope you keep this going) and for giving us someone to follow online in Berlin.

Anonymous said...

Glenn,
Sorry to hear about your race and the unfortunate incident with the female camera vehicle? Hope you recover well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a tough time out there. Much to learn from it I'm sure. Thanks for blogging - keep at it, and the running.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Plu