Monday, May 22, 2006

Are you joakin? PB


Fri pm - Lunchtime run with leftie around Chatswood about 10 km in 43minutes.

Taking a well deserved break on Saturday, I was nervously waiting for the race, and not sure what to expect from the competition. I knew Dent would be a handful, but not sure of Gillard and Magnus's form and that extent mine.

Was a little anxious at the starting line as my wife too a little while to pass my racing flats to me at about 8 minutes b4 starting time, when I thought she would have been there earlier. Anyway it wasn't her fault.

I went out like a mad cat, 2:50 through the first k and then passed by the 3 RFYL'ers, inc Dent, Haber and Gillard at about 2-3 km and said goodbye to them up Hunter st. 5km in 15:21, 10km in 31:20. I noted a car (white peugoet) coming at me head first and tooting up Kent St, which I wasn't too happy about in the first lap as he was ignoring Police instructions, but thats usual for me!

Really felt good on the flat section through 10km and felt good over last time Argyle St. I thought Magnus was catching at Macq Chair, but certainly had pulled away with extreme effort around Macq turn around as Magnus had just come around the corner as I turned the sign. Pushed very hard along Hickson dodging the runners. Was happy with a 66:56.

Very happy with the result and the effort on the day. Although I went out hard, it probably made it more difficult for the opposition as there would be no "latching on". Gee getting faster on this course is going to be difficult. I will never underestimate the SMH course again. That pinch up towards the art gallery got me worse than I can remember. There will hopefully be plenty of TV action for the Striders outfit as the TV motorbike seem to follow me up every bloody hill!


It was great to have my wife, brother-in-law, Mum, Dad and Grandma there watching. My grandma was thrilled to bits and at 91 years of age, I hope I can make her proud again! The last time I has so many family watching I DNF'd. Many thanks to my wife as I was little grumpy late last week with the amount of BS meetings I had to attend to, and all these other deadlines at work.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Top run, Guz - I was coming the other way and saw you about half way between the Art Gallery and the exit of Art Gallery Road the second time around. Magnus was pretty much the same distance behind you he was on the first lap, but you certainly looked like you were feeling it at that point. Well done to guts it out and finish strongly - don't think the phrase 'unheralded club runner' (refer the SMH this morning) will be used again!

Anonymous said...

Well done fella - I knew you had a podium finish in you - It's a very brave guy at your level that puts all their training on public display and turns up to all the club runs - I'm sue everyone in Striders is very proud of you.

cheers, 26

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Guz. Fantastic run and a very well deserved PB and a podium. Brilliant! Hope the rest of the year goes just as well for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

Congratulations. I saw you coming into the Hyde Park Loop on the first lap and then pushing really hard up Hunter on the second lap. The first thing I asked when I finished was whether you made 3rd place.

I never know whether to say anything to you guys about where the runners behind you are. You seem to have about 50-70m on Magnus at that stage.

Great run.

Plu

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful insight into your training and racing. It is great to be able to hear about an elite' runners experience straight from their mouth.

Well done and after all your injuries and training - muchly deserved!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done!!

You've planned your training program very well and the results, firstly in the 10km Road and now the Half speak for themselves.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the year develops.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the podium finish - you certainly looked very strong everytime you went flying past me in the opposite direction.

I just zoomed in on the picture and that is Lucky Legs in the background - a shot of 2 legends for the price of 1 ;-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the podium finish Glenn. I saw you flying down Macquarie St in full flight and it was great to see you in 3rd place. I'm glad that you were able to hang on. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Good job mate! I was absolutely stoked to find out just after crossing the line, that you'd come 3rd. I'm proud to be running in the same colours!

Anonymous said...

Hey Glen,

It was great to see you flying the Strider's colours and doing so well. You really deserve it and you are such an inspiration to us younger runners. You really show us what can be achieved when you put in the hard yards.